Kids First Law Center seeks full-time and half-time Youth Peace Project (YPP) facilitators to help students resolve conflicts at school.
Kids First is a nonprofit, child-focused conflict resolution center. YPP facilitators help youth resolve conflict with their peers through an innovative restorative justice program in Cedar Rapids schools. The organization also helps children through conflict in their families by providing legal representation to kids in high-conflict custody and divorce cases, educational workshops about divorce for children, and mediation for separated parents.
Kids First is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a positive experience for all people regardless of their race, color, age, appearance, disability, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, nationality, social or ethnic origin, religion, or creed.
POSITION SUMMARY: Kids First’s team of Youth Peace Project facilitators provide restorative justice services in the school setting. Facilitators lead individual and group circles (mediation) for students and staff. They help improve students’ social-emotional skills, reduce time away from learning, and improve school climate by lessening conflict. Newly hired facilitators will be stationed at a Cedar Rapids high school or middle school.
- Build and maintain positive relationships and trust with school administration, engagement specialists, teachers and other staff and students
- Meet with students individually following a conflict to understand their perspective, provide social-emotional skill coaching, and invite participation in a circle
- Facilitate restorative circles between students or between students and staff to guide the participants in resolving conflict
- Lead re-entry circles following a suspension for students, parents/guardians, school staff, and administration
- Model restorative approaches in daily interactions
- Provide written documentation of mediated agreements to school administration or staff daily
- Collaborate with other Kids First facilitators
- Observe classrooms at the invitation of teachers to improve implementation of restorative practices
- Participate in school meetings as requested to suggest solutions
- Compile data following each circle and submit quarterly reports to Kids First Director
- Bachelor’s degree in human services, education, or communications preferred
- Advanced degree ideal (such as masters in counseling/psychology, JD, etc.)
- Experience working with adolescents, especially kids of diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds
- Experience in the school setting is preferred
- Experience with mediation or restorative practices is ideal
- Relationship builder, skilled at developing a positive and professional working relationship with students and school staff while maintaining neutrality
- Ability to work constructively in high-conflict situations and to reframe conflict
- Find kids delightful
- Empathy, patience and creativity
- Excel in approaching difficult conversations with diplomacy and kindness
- Courage and initiative
- Ability to work independently and with limited supervision to accomplish daily outcomes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Computer literacy and data collection experience
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
SALARY INFORMATION: Kids First has a committed team environment with an egalitarian pay scale. Work schedule is based on the school calendar with full-time salary ranging between of $48,712 and $51,112 (depending on hours worked in the summer). Time off generally tracks school and summer breaks. Benefits include PTO, IRA contributions, and long-term disability insurance. Medical, dental, and vision insurance plans are available with premiums paid by the employee.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and list of references to Jenny Schulz, Executive Director, by email at email@example.com.