Youth Peace Project Facilitator/Mediator
Kids First Law Center seeks full-time (school calendar) Youth Peace Project (YPP) facilitators to help students resolve conflicts at school.
Kids First is a nonprofit, child-focused conflict resolution center. YPP facilitators help youth resolve conflict with their peers through an innovative restorative justice program. Restorative justice is an approach to repairing conflict by restoring relationships.
Kids First is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and strives to create a positive experience for all people regardless of their race, color, income, age, appearance, disability, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, nationality, social or ethnic origin, religion or creed.
Kids First’s team of Youth Peace Project facilitators provide restorative justice services in the school setting. Facilitators lead individual and group circles (mediation) for students and school staff. They help improve students’ social-emotional skills, prevent conflict from escalating, and reduce suspensions to keep students in class. Newly hired facilitators will be stationed at a school in the Cedar Rapids Community School District.
- Meet with students individually following a conflict to understand their perspective, provide social-emotional skill coaching, and invite participation in a circle
- Facilitate restorative circles between students or between students and staff to guide the participants in resolving conflict
- Lead re-entry circles following a suspension for students, school staff, and administration
- Provide timely written documentation of mediated agreements to school administration or staff
- Build and maintain positive relationships and trust with school administration, engagement specialists, teachers and other staff and students
- Observe classrooms at the invitation of teachers to improve implementation of restorative practices
- Participate in school meetings as requested to suggest restorative approaches to challenging behavior
- Model restorative practices in daily interactions
- Collaborate with other Kids First YPP facilitators
- Compile data following each circle and submit monthly to YPP’s program director
As a workplace committed to diverse, equitable and inclusive practices, Kids First welcomes all applicants.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Advanced degree ideal (such as masters in counseling/psychology, JD, etc.)
- Experience working with youth, especially youth from marginalized populations
- Experience in the school setting is preferred
- Experience with mediation or restorative practices is ideal
- Relationship builder, skilled at developing a positive and professional working relationship with students and school staff while maintaining neutrality
- Ability to work constructively in high-conflict situations and reframe conflict to empower students to resolve it
- Finds kids delightful
- Empathy, patience and creativity
- Ability to approach difficult conversations with diplomacy and kindness
- Shows courage and initiative
- Ability to work independently and with limited supervision to accomplish daily outcomes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Computer literacy and data collection experience
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
SALARY & BENEFITS
Kids First has a committed team environment with an egalitarian pay scale where all employees are paid the same wage. Work schedule is based on the school calendar with salary of $52,750. YPP facilitators have the summer and school breaks off. Benefits include PTO, IRA contributions, and long-term disability insurance. Medical, dental, and vision insurance plans are available with premiums paid by the employee.
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Cheri Mase-Reider, Director of Operations, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.