Kids First, a nonprofit children’s law center, is seeking a full-time managing attorney who is passionate about providing quality legal representation to children in the Des Moines area.
Kids First is one of the few law centers in the United States with a focus on providing legal advocacy for children in family law cases. Kids First follows the best practices standards in Iowa and its attorneys are enthusiastic about being part of an innovative model of advocacy.
Position Summary: The managing attorney in Kids First Law Center's satellite office in Des Moines will be the primary point person who leads the office, which includes an office manager and development director. His/her main responsibility is to provide legal representation for children in high-conflict family law cases. A volunteer advisory board provides additional support, and back office support and mentoring is provided by the Cedar Rapids office.
Reports to: Executive Director, Jenny Schulz, in the Cedar Rapids office.
Case Responsibilities as Child’s Attorney:
• Meet regularly with clients
• Develop and implement creative problem-solving and non-litigation strategies to lessen conflict in families
• Initiate and participate in alternative dispute resolution practices
• Draft pleadings and advocate the child’s position in court proceedings
• Consult and collaborate with the child’s teacher, counselor and other professionals
• Coach parents to improve communication and conflict-resolution skills
• Acquire knowledge of community services and connect family members to needed resources
• Oversee the Des Moines Kids First team and serve as primary point person for communication with the Cedar Rapids office
• Work collaboratively with the advisory board
• Lead workshops for children of divorce
• Assist the development director in fundraising activities as needed, such as grant writing, public speaking, and networking
Qualifications: Kids First attorneys build a rapport with children and meet with them regularly, are comfortable interviewing children about sometimes difficult topics, and understand and advocate the child’s position. Attorneys should have excellent oral and written communication skills. They must be able to work constructively in high-conflict situations and help parents who reach an impasse by reframing conflict and focusing on resolution. Working in a satellite office requires being a self-starter who works well independently with minimal instruction and as part of a team. Because the attorneys in Des Moines are the face of Kids First in their community, candidates should have exemplary moral character. Ideal qualifications include a demonstrated interest in child advocacy or family law and public interest work as well as experience in public speaking. Applicants must be licensed to practice law in Iowa. Family law and litigation experience are preferred.
Salary Information: Contact Office Manager, email@example.com or 319-739-5424.
Application Process: Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and list of references to:
Jenny Schulz, Executive Director
Kids First Law Center
420 6th Street SE, Suite 160
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org