Kids First Law Center seeks a full-time development director for the Cedar Rapids office. Candidates seeking to work 30 hours per week as a part-time employee will also be considered.
About Kids First: Kids First is a fifteen-year-old nonprofit children’s law center with a mission to give children a voice in divorce, custody and other conflicts by providing focused legal representation and services for kids. A team of ten in Cedar Rapids serve over 1,000 children annually. The overall goals for Kids First are to create stability for children, lessen the effect of conflict on kids, connect kids and families to support systems and needed resources, and make children’s voices heard. At the center of Kids First's work is a focus on conflict-resolution and changing patterns of behavior to create more positive relationships for kids. Kids First offers a variety of programs to help children through conflict: legal representation for kids in high-conflict divorce and custody cases, educational workshops for children of divorcing parents, joint parenting sessions for separated parents to help parents find common ground and resolve issues related to parenting and communication, neutral exchanges so that children can go between parents without being exposed to toxic conflict, and restorative justice in the Cedar Rapids School District where Kids First helps children resolve conflicts with their peers and teachers. Kids First follows best practices and its team is enthusiastic about being part of an innovative model of child advocacy.
Position Summary: Kids First seeks a Development Director to implement a comprehensive fund development plan in accordance with the agency’s mission, vision and strategic plan. The Development Director will continue building a strong network of supporters in the Corridor so Kids First can continue to grow. The plan includes building balanced and sustainable support from individuals, corporations, and grantors.
- Develop and manage an annual fund development plan in collaboration with the Executive Director
- Research and identify opportunities for new partnerships
- Work in partnership with the Executive Director to cultivate and solicit major gifts and event sponsorships from corporations and foundations
- Build and maintain relationships with prospective and current donors
- Maintain an annual grants calendar, drafting and submitting grant proposals and managing timely and accurate reports to funders
- With support from the team and board, coordinate and oversee planning of special events, including the annual fundraiser, monthly informational lunches at Kids First, and donor appreciation events
- Coordinate public speaking engagements with the Kids First team
- Make effective use of Kids First’s donor database (Salesforce)
- Analyze and evaluate fundraising strategies to continually improve efforts
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Experience in development preferred
- Established relationships in the Corridor
- Strong interpersonal skills with positive outlook
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Exemplary organizational and project-management skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy in communications and database entry
- Ability to understand the needs of the agency, matching those with the goals of potential funders
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated in a team environment
- Creative and strategic thinking
Salary Information: Kids First has a committed team environment with an egalitarian pay scale. Salary is $61,440 annually for full-time employees. Generous benefits include six weeks PTO, sabbatical leave, IRA contributions, and long-term disability insurance. Medical, dental, and vision insurance plans are available with premiums paid by employees.
Application Process: Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Jenny Schulz, Executive Director
Kids First Law Center
420 6th Street SE, Suite 160
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org